Tri-County Mental Health is now overseeing the Northland Grandfamilies Program in the Kansas City Northland. This program was previously led by the University of Missouri Extension Center. This program provides outreach and support services to those who are in a kinship role, such as a grandparent raising a grandchild. Families can take different forms and we value all families and individuals who are willing to provide care and stability to loved ones in need.
We are especially proud to be overseeing this program because we can offer support for those in our community who are working to navigate the role of family caregiver. Let us help!
Support is available through:
- Monthly support groups with other kinship caregivers. These include speakers from our local community to highlight a variety of topics.
- Fun events offering a budget-friendly option for having fun, meeting others and combating boredom and isolation.
- Workshops designed to promote coping strategies for youth and caregivers.
- Annual conference showcasing keynote speakers, break-out speakers and exhibitors from community organizations in a comfortable setting with refreshments.
- Case management and individual support on a one-on-one basis.
As a kinship caregiver, you may have questions about how to ensure you are equipped for this role of caring for a youth family member.
Topics of focus through the Northland Grandfamilies Program include:
- Guardianship options
- How to apply for assistance programs
- Access to meet practical needs of clothing, diapers, medication, dental/vision services
- Academic support for children with special needs
- Intergenerational communication
- Self-care for caregivers
- Youth mental health needs
How to get involved:
Tri-County is proud to offer this program to our local community and wants kinship caregivers to feel better equipped in their role of caring for youth loved ones. You may reach our program coordinator, Becky Franklin by phone at (816) 468-0400 x330 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We also update our services on the Northland Grandfamilies Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/northlandgrandfamilies.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Tri-County offers mental health support to individuals of all ages. For the Northland Grandfamilies Program, our team of providers is available to support you in a variety of ways.
- Older Adult/Caregiver Support: It is not uncommon to experience changing needs as going through the aging process. Emotional needs are not one-size-fits-all. Depression does not have to be a part of getting older. Our older adult therapist is available to support you through transitions and stressors relevant for caregivers with this program.
- Youth Support: We have a renowned team of youth services providers available to offer therapy, case management and coordination of services with school staff. We are available to address symptoms that often arise related to transition, loss and trauma.
- As a kinship caregiver, you may be facing this role as a sudden or unexpected change in circumstances. We are here to help you take steps to bridge the gap of communication with the younger loved ones in your care. Thus, we offer intergenerational support designed to bring youth and caregivers together in finding common ground.